From mid-October 2017 until December 31, 2017 I journeyed through, The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren and I must admit it has changed my life. I would definitely recommend it to everyone, especially to those seeking to deepen their relationship with God and to find their purpose in life. The book was meant to be read, daily, over a 40 day period but as you can see, it took me a little longer than suggested. What was amazing though, is that whenever I actually read the assigned reading, it was exactly what I needed to read at the exact time. Isn’t God amazing! I’ve learned so much and grown so much from what I read that I wanted to share. This blog is a compilation of my favorite quotes and tid-bits of what I gained from the whole experience but you should definitely go read it yourself!
- “You were made by God and for God and until you understand that, life will never make sense”.
No explanation needed. I know so many people that are walking around trying to find meaning for their lives and they just keep going in circles because they either don’t know God or refuse to admit that He is in control. My life changed completely once I totally surrendered to His will. I found true happiness, not the feeling, but the state of being, Joy!
- “Your parents may not have planned you, but God did!”
That right there needs to be a meme or something! It’s such a powerful statement.
- “We are products of our past, but we don’t have to be prisoners of it!”
Another meme worthy one! I actually made some that I have been sharing on my Instagram page. Feel free to share!
- “Fear is a self-imposed prison that will keep you from becoming what God intends for you to be”.
- “God is not a cruel slave driver or a bully who uses brute force to coerce us into submission. He doesn’t try to break our will, but woos us to himself so that we might offer ourselves freely to him. God is a lover and a liberator, and surrendering to him brings freedom, not bondage. When we completely surrender ourselves to Jesus, we discover that he is not a tyrant, but a savior; not a boss, but a brother; not a dictator, but a friend”.
Isn’t this a beautiful thing? You would see from my post I’m Not Just a Christian, I’m a Kingdom Citizen! that I used to think of God as this punishing god but thank you Jesus for grace and mercy!
- “Genuine surrender says, “Father, if this problem, pain, sickness, or circumstance is needed to fulfill your purpose and glory in my life or another’s, please don’t take it away.”
- “We obey God, not out of duty or fear or compulsion, but because we love him and trust that he knows what is best for us”.
- “Your problems are not punishment; they are wake-up calls from a loving God. God is not mad at you; he’s mad about you, and he will do whatever it takes to bring you back into fellowship with him”.
- “When you are a baby Christian, God gives you a lot of confirming emotions and often answers the most immature, self-centered prayers—so you’ll know he exists. But as you grow in faith, he will wean you of these dependencies”.
So very, very true! I’m still a ‘babe in the faith’ but the weaning process has already begun!
- “Every human being was created by God, but not everyone is a child of God. The only way to get into God’s family is by being born again into it. You became part of the human family by your first birth, but you become a member of God’s family by your second birth”.
- “Your baptism declares your faith, shares Christ’s burial and resurrection, symbolizes your death to your old life, and announces your new life in Christ. It is also a celebration of your inclusion in God’s family”.
- “The best use of life is love. The best expression of love is time. The best time to love is now”.
- “Humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less”.
- God doesn’t want you to become a god; he wants you to become godly—taking on his values, attitudes, and character.
That’s where people get tripped up. They think that once they become born-again they are expected to be perfect but that’s impossible! We are still human and will make tons of mistakes. We cannot beat ourselves up and let the devil get in our heads and try to make us give up!
- “Christlikeness is all about transforming your character, not your personality. The Christian life is far more than creeds and convictions; it includes conduct and character. Our deeds must be consistent with our creeds, and our beliefs must be backed up with Christlike behavior”.
- “You’ll never know that God is all you need until God is all you’ve got”.
- “Happiness depends on external circumstances, but joy is based on your relationship to God”.
- “You’re not saved by service, but you are saved for service. In God’s kingdom, you have a place, a purpose, a role, and a function to fulfill. This gives your life great significance and value”.
- “Through salvation our past has been forgiven, our present is given meaning, and our future is secured”.
- “Just as each runner in a race is given a different lane to run in, we must individually, ‘run with patience the particular race that God has set before us’. Don’t be envious of the runner in the lane next to you; just focus on finishing your race”.
I’ll end on this note. The book is packed with tons of scripture from several translations and some serious golden nuggets! If you don’t get a chance to read the book, at least write some of these quotes down to give yourself some motivation when needed. My race has not been easy but I’m definitely going to keep running, in my own lane, until the end! Let’s run together!
Just doing my Father’s work!
P.S. – Follow my Instagram or Facebook for some of these quotes in a shareable format!